FREE SHIPPING WHEN YOU ORDER COOKIES AND A JAR OF TOPPING! View details

NORTH & SOUTH CAROLINA SHIPMENTS MAY BE DELAYED View details

Sanders & Morley Candy Makers through the years

2018 & beyond

Sanders is a national brand featuring chocolates, dessert toppings and baked goods using recipes dating far back as 1875. Sanders products can be found in retailers across the U.S., at Sanders Chocolate & Ice Cream Shoppes in Michigan or online at sanderscandy.com.

2017

Sanders completes extensive remodel of its corporate headquarters and flagship chocolate & ice cream shoppe in Clinton Township, Michigan. The remodel increases the store's footprint by more than 30%, brings an on-site bakery to the premises, expands seating to accommodate more than 125 people and includes nostalgic touches to celebrate the company’s 140+ year heritage, while also using modern design to embrace a bright future.

2015

Sanders attains Safe Quality Food (SQF) Level 3 Certification, which is a renowned certification program recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). Sanders was previously one of the first mid-sized confectionery companies to earn SQF Level 2 Certification. It now becomes one of the few U.S. confectionery manufacturers of its size to attain SQF Level 3 certification, and an Excellent audit rating.

2014

Sanders makes several new investments to support its rapid growth. A new 50,000 square-foot distribution center opens, internal operations are enhanced with a new cloud based ERP software, telephone system are upgraded, a new 500-gallon caramel cooking kettle is acquired and installation of an additional custom built 34-inch wide, 188-foot long chocolate enrobing line is completed.

2011

Sanders Gourmet Ice Cream & Dessert Toppings receive Gluten Free Certification. Flavors include: Milk Chocolate Hot Fudge, Classic Caramel (formerly known as Butterscotch Caramel), Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge (formerly known as Swiss Fudge) and Extra Dark Chocolate Hot Fudge (formerly known as Bittersweet Fudge).

2007

Morley Candy Makers ceases direct fundraising efforts. Instead, it continues in the fundraising sector as one of the country’s premium fundraising companies with its candies being sold through a national distribution network.

2002

After about a decade of manufacturing some of the Sanders products, Morley Candy Makers purchases the Sanders brand and its original recipes, starting the iconic brands' revival.

1990s

The Sanders brand is now owned by an investment company and Morley Candy Makers is hired to manufacture some of the brand's products.

1980s

The Fred Sanders Company experiences hard times and files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. At the time, the company employed more than 1,200 people and had more than 50 retail outlets.

1950s

A local school approaches the Morleys about using their chocolate for fundraisers. Although they were weary at first, the idea took off and Morley Fundraising remained one of the top programs in the Midwest for nearly fifty years.

1940s

There are more than 20 Metro Detroit Sanders locations by 1941. Sanders opens a massive nine-acre, 400,000 square-foot factory in Highland Park, Michigan. This facility operates as the company's headquarters until 1995.

1920s

Sanders begins serving light lunches at fountain counters. These counters became an early version of fast food. Business men could get in and out in 20 minutes.

1919

Ervin and Julia Morley opened the doors of Morley Candy in 1919 on Gratiot Avenue near Downtown Detroit. This Mom and Pop store soon became affectionately known as the "Sweet Shop."

1913

Devil's food Buttercream Cake appears on Sanders menus for the first time. This rich devilsfood cake, topped with pipes of buttercream then draped in chocolate ganache soon became known as "Bumpy Cake" after so many customer requested the "cake with the bumps." More than 100 years later, this cake is still an American tradition.

1900s

Sanders Hot Fudge Sundaes being to appear on menus.

1875

Fred Sanders opened his first retail store on Woodward Avenue near State St. on June 17, 1875.